When I see them, I’m supposed to freak out. Yell. Curse. Smash them. Spray insecticide.
Don’t tell my wife, but when I notice ants crawling across our counter, I admire them.
Here’s my top five reasons that ants are cool:
- Ants look cool, especially under magnification. Giant jaws, hairy in weird ways, robot-like in limb. If they had soft flesh, I bet they’d smile.
- Ants use things that people would throw away. They are the ultimate foragers.
- Ants are diligent workers, always organized, cooperative, and dedicated to the cause of getting good food.
- Ants can carry many times their own weight and that sure is fun to watch.
- Ants are persistent to a fault. They just keep coming back no matter what we do to them. Someday the ants will rule the earth (if they don’t already).
I bow down to you, Mighty Ants!